Ask anyone why they raise rabbits, and you may get many different answers. It really boils down to why they are raising them, whether it’s for an extra income, meat, or some other reason. Below are some of my best reasons for raising rabbits on my homestead.
- The meat is high quality: rabbit meat is very good for your body. It is all white meat, low in fat, and high in protein. If you cook with chicken a lot, you can replace chicken with rabbit in any recipe. You will have great flavor and more nutritional value added to your meal.
- Their manure is great for your garden: in fact, it is one of the best fertilizers you could ask for. Rabbit manure does not need to be composted before using. You can add it directly to your garden without fear of burning your tender plants.
- Easy and inexpensive to raise: rabbits are very easy to raise. You simply provide them with adequate shelter, food, and water, and they do the rest. Side by side, it costs much less to raise rabbits for meat than other meat producing animals such as cows, pigs, and goats.
- You know what is in their feed: when you know what you feed your rabbits, you know what you are putting into your body when you eat them. With this in mind, it is best to stick with natural feeds such as grasses and vegetables from your own yard.
- Extra income: if you raise enough rabbits, you can bring extra money into your homestead. You can sell the meat from your rabbits or sell their offspring. Some homesteaders even sell rabbit manure as fertilizer. The extra income can help you pay for rabbit feed and other needs so the benefits of raising rabbits can grow.
As you can see, there are many benefits to raising rabbits. If you haven’t considered raising them before, I hope you will consider it now.